Let’s jump right in and learn some Hangul !!
- You can only use 1 consonant before each bowl and a total of 2 after it
- Hangul has 40 letter 21 vowels/19 consonants
- They are written in blocks between 2-4 letters
- The first letter in a block has To be a consonant
The placeholder: ㅇ
The placeholder is silent Like the silent “e” at the end of English words etc
- All vowels either have a long vertical or horizontal line
- Horizontal = placeholder goes above (으)
- Vertical = placeholder to the left (이)
There is 8 vowels and 11 semi-vowels in Hangul
ㅇ + ㅡ = 으 (sounds uoh)
ㅇ + ㅜ = 우 (sounds oooo)
ㅇ + ㅗ = 오 (sounds oh)
ㅇ + ㅏ = 아 (sounds ah)
ㅇ + ㅣ = 이 (sounds ee)
ㅇ + ㅓ = 어 (sounds ohh: sort of like oawh)
Sometimes you will see words such as 안녕하세요
Do you see that it has 2 ㅇ?
The first ㅇ (안ㄴ) is the placeholder
The second ㅇ DOES have a sound, it sounds like NG like ring
Thank you for reading please come back soon!!
(All information in this post came from study notes from various different sources)